Wednesday, April 21, 2010
From the Mountaintop...
What do you need to know to get started eating Paleo? Where do you even begin with primal eating? Let me be your Moses with the Paleo Commandments:
1. Thou shall try to eat lean protein at every meal. You can eat as much meat as you want (eating fruits and veggies will offset the protein so you won't get protein toxicity). When you are hungry (especially after eating a meal) eat more meat. It fills you up quicker and you stay full longer. Don't forget about fish!
2. Thou shall eat as many fruits and veggies as you possibly can. Variety is the spice of life and the secret to nutrition. Try to switch it up; don't always eat the same things.
3. Thou shall cut out dairy. This may make you a sad panda, but dairy can be easily replaced with substitutes. No more yogurt, milk, butter, and sadly, cheese. Save these for your 3 cheat meals a week.
4. Thou shall cut out cereal grains. That means no more breads, crackers, tortillas, breadcrumbs, or cereals.
5. Thou shall cut out added salt and sugar. Do not cook with salt or refined sugar and use condiments or foods that don't add salt and sugar(ketchup, salad dressing, BBQ sauce). In my cooking, I add more spices and pepper and I don't miss the salt that much. Sugar cravings are easily met with a piece of fruit.
6. Thou shall use Flax, Canola, and Olive Oils in your cooking and no more than 4 ounces a day. I also use these to make my own salad dressings.
7. Thou shall eat nuts and seeds. Get nutty! Channel your inner squirrel and find something you like. Walnuts are the best nut for you and Macadamia nuts are right up there too. Eat no more than 4 ounces a day if you are trying to lose weight. Obviously get unsalted, unroasted (if possible or dry roasted) nuts.
8. Thou shall learn to hate starchy tubers. I still laugh every time I say the phrase 'starchy tubers'. It just sounds ridiculous. ANYWAYS, these are potatoes, yams, and sweet potatoes. They have a similar effect as cereal grains in your body. No me gusta.
9. Thou shall not eat legumes no matter how delicious they are. That's right, no legumes- beans and peanuts. The children are wrong, beans are not the magical fruit... They have antinutrients that sit in your intestines and block vitamins from getting absorbed. Not so cool beans.