Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My Itchy Elbows...

When I was in college I started to develop Psoriasis on my elbows. For those of you that don't know what that is, it is a dermatological disease that causes your skin cells to multiply at a rapid rate (or so I'm told). Basically the skin on my elbows cracks, bleeds, and flakes off. It also has a very wonderful bright red glow constantly. The other awesome thing about Psoriasis is that it can spread. It's not contagious, but it moves about my body and leaves scars.

Prior to starting the Paleo diet I had Psoriasis on both elbows and small patches beginning to sprout on my knee caps and thighs. I am not super vain, but I'm also not cool with having scaring all over my legs from this. I tried acupuncture and it sort of worked to reduce the swelling. I had topical creams and they only sort of worked. I used Cetaphil lotion daily and it only sort of worked. I wanted something different. When I was at the Acupuncturist, he recommended that I go on a Paleo diet to see if it helped my skin. He said that there is some research to suggest that autoimmune diseases like Psoriasis may be a result of a light grain or dairy allergy.

With that in mind, I decided to read the book by Loren Cordain. I decided that the month of April was going to be my month. I wanted to see if I saw changes in my skin during my 30 day trial. I've been completely shocked with the results thus far. Within a week, my Psoriasis had severely gone down, the redness was gone. My face (which had Rosacea and acne) started to clear up.

Over the weekend, I went to visit my brother in Salt Lake City. While I was on vacation I had 4 meals that were non-Paleo. This week, my Psoriasis is back and so is my acne. I'm truly amazed. I never knew that my diet was so closely related to my skin aside from the old wives' tale of chocolate causing acne. I can't wait for the past few days since vacation of non-cheats to catch up and bring relief for my Psoriasis and clear up my acne.

No comments:

Post a Comment