Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spaghetti Squash!

I cannot tell a lie, I was nervous about cooking my first spaghetti squash. There was something about buying a vegetable that came with a sticker that listed directions that seemed intimidating to me. I'm sure I'm not alone on this. Like most modern people, I disregarded the sticker and spoke with my good friend google about tips for cooking. :) I found some great websites with directions. It turns out you can bake, boil, or microwave the spaghetti squash. There are (apparently) two major schools of thought in the baking of a spaghetti squash (I'm sure international academia sits and debates the facets of both).

FIRST METHOD: We'll call it the Halving Method:
Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scrap out the seeds and pulpy stuff (basically anything that looks like you would remove it when carving a Jack-O-Lantern). Bake with cut side UP and covered with tin foil for 30-40 mins at 375 degrees. Use a fork to scrap the squash out, it will look like spaghetti noodles. BENEFITS: This way cooks faster (about half the time) NEGATIVES: It is much more difficult to remove the seeds and pulp when the squash is raw.

SECOND METHOD: We'll call it the Whole Method:
Put squash in a baking pan, cover with tin foil. Bake covered for 60 minutes (I would recommend turning it once halfway through). Once the time is up, cut squash with knife lengthwise (careful- it's really hot!). Remove the pulp and seeds. Use a fork to scrap the squash out, it will look like spaghetti noodles. BENEFITS: The seeds and pulp are easier to scrap in this method NEGATIVES: The squash will be hot and difficult to work with because of the temperature and it takes longer to cook.

The pictures are of my squash (I did the Whole Method) with marinara sauce and ground venison. Even though I was nervous, I have to say this was one of the easiest meals I've made. What's more brainless than turning the oven on, throwing this in, and walking away for an hour? It wasn't much more work than making pasta.

1 comment:

  1. I know this sounds strange however we use this when I make Cincinnati Skyline Chili (mock version). YUMMY! and I had leftovers and decided to put it with my scrabbled eggs and sausage the next morning. Can I say DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete