Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Brave Little Brussels Sprouts



Well folks. I did it. I am no longer a stranger to the Brussels Sprout. That's right. Our brave vegetable for the week was faced head on in a fight to the death last evening. The Brussels Sprout won. It was delicious (at least I thought so, Marcus was not so sure). Here's what I did:

Brussels Sprouts

1 lbs. Brussels Sprouts
15 oz. Chicken Broth
1/4 yellow onion
1/4 c. dried cranberries
2 garlic cloves
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Freshly Ground Pepper
1 tsp. Mrs. Dash (is it sexist that she is indicated as Mrs. Dash? I think it might be. Ms. Dash or whatever her unknown first or maiden name may be. Damn patriarchy. jk) :)

1.Soak the Brussels Sprouts in a bowl of water for several minutes to remove dirt. While soaking, pour chicken broth into a deep frying pan and bring to boil.
2. Cut the ends of the sprouts and cut into bite sized pieces. Place in boiling broth. Cover. Simmer until sprouts are soft (around 10 minutes).
3. Drain the broth; add oil, garlic, onion, spices, and cranberries. Sautee for several minutes (around 5). Makes about 2.5 servings.

I served mine with grilled Talapia, but these make a great side dish for anything. The cranberries really made the dish in my opinion. :) Bring it on creepy vegetables/fruits! I bought a starfruit this week. That's up next. My 5 year old nephew would be so proud...

No comments:

Post a Comment