Monday, May 17, 2010

Confessions of a Reluctant Eater

First a confession: I'm the skeptic of the family. I naturally question nearly everything that I read, hear, and see. I once told Beth that I was only 92% sure that I was alive. I need proof. I need facts. Personally, I consider this a sign of intelligence. Others find it a sign of annoyingness.

When Beth first started her Paleo adventure I was more than a little reluctant to join her. She would rave about her vastly improved fitness, her incredible new outlook on life, reduced auto-immune symptoms, and other seemingly countless miracles stemming from her new diet. I would nod and smile politely while quietly recalling my high school psychology class discussions about the placebo effect and the poor delusional minds kidnapped by its powers.

Don't get me wrong. I knew that diet is important. I knew that vegetables and fruits and nuts are good for you. With a little research (I was a vegetarian for some time) I even reluctantly conceded that some meats are good for you. But I also knew that green beans and mashed potatoes are good for you. I knew that milk and whole grains are good for you. I knew that nothing cured a cold like orange juice and chicken noodle soup.

But, like Copernicus and Darwin before me, there came a time when I had to question what I knew because I was facing irrefutable proof. My wife was undoubtedly losing weight. She was without question becoming fitter. The psoriasis that had plagued her for most of the time I've known her was almost certainly disappearing. Unless I missed something in psychology class, the placebo effect explanation was beginning to lose footing.

So, like any good skeptic I tried it for myself. The challenge: eat strictly paleo for one full week. If it sucks, (which I assumed it would) I would support my wife in her endeavor and go on eating however I wanted. If it rocked, (which I was sure it wouldn't) I would change my outlook on nutrition for good.

That was three weeks ago and I'm sad to report that this skeptic has been swayed. Despite my doubt and my years of contrary teaching, I have fallen for this lifestyle. I feel many of the same benefits that my partner raved about and I truly believe I'm healthier now than ever.

I still drink orange juice religiously. I still drink a good micro brew or glass of wine more days than not. And I'll be damned if I have to give up coffee. But when it comes down to it- I'm a believer.

Good luck Mike and Megan. Here's to your new endeavor. It's worth it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you saw the light, Marcus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally don't comment on blogs, but I enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Blake that means a lot to us!

    ReplyDelete