Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Elk Crock Pot Roast

My life is busy right now. I'm working full time as a teacher (end of the year is always busy), moving (which entails having my house on the market), and looking for a job for next year. Last night I had an interview, tomorrow night I have an interview. Suffice it to say, my sanity is precariously existing. My one saving grace that has been keeping me eating primal is my crock pot. I know I cooked a chicken yesterday, but today I have a girls running club after school and yoga with my girlfriends this evening.

So here's what's cookin:

Elk Crock Pot Roast
(I'm lucky that my Dad and brother are hunters and keep me supplied, but the recipe would probably work well with beef as well. Grassfed beef would be ideal as it is gamier than conventionally raised beef)

1 pot roast
4 carrots
1 yellow onion, cut into big sections
7 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp. dill weed
1/4 tsp. sage
1/4 garlic powder
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
4 c. water
1/2 Tbsp. Olive Oil

Peel carrots and place in the bottom of crock pot. Place half the onions around the carrots and all the garlic cloves. Place the roast atop of the carrots. Pour the water around the roast until the roast is mostly submerged. Drizzle the olive oil on top of the meat and sprinkle the remaining spices on top (placing the bay leaves in the liquid).

No comments:

Post a Comment