Monday, May 10, 2010

The Most Difficult Part of Primal Eating

My husband was a vegetarian for a while in high school. Whenever he talks about his experience, he always remarks that the most challenging part of being a vegetarian is not your diet, it's everyone else.

I think much is the same with Paleo eating. Food is so closely connected to our culture, tradition, and beliefs. People hold their food near and dear to their hearts. This is why it can be uncomfortable to get into a debate with someone about their food choices. Our government (via food pyramid) has inundated society with differing ideas for decades. Modern research is starting to prove much of that wrong. If you've read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan, then you know what I'm talking about. Many of the FDA's decision are motivated by the big corporations in the food industry. This has helped to promote misinformation to the general public. I'm not a big food conspiracy theorist, but think much of the status quo's knowledge of nutrition is flawed.

I think that the most difficult part of primal eating is not reading the ingredients on items, going without the tortilla on your burrito, or trying to live without cheese; it is by far trying to live without criticism, skepticism, or condemnation.

2 comments:

  1. Beth--


    So true! I find myself awkwardly silent in conversations about diet at work--mostly because what I know to be true is so different from what my workmates know to be true. I suppose the best thing to do is to hang in there and live by example. (It is just so hard to do that sometimes.) I love your blog by the way. (Also--if you get a chance, check out my tropical paradise pancakes--they were pretty much like normal pancakes). --Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta tell you a little secret... I really enjoy the criticism and skepticism, it's like a challenge! Always something to talk about during dinner ;)
    Condemnation sucks, but people who are important to you wouldn't do that anyway.
    Don't be silent in the next diet conversation, find a way to respectfully join in!

    ReplyDelete