Thursday, May 13, 2010

One Brave Thing a Day...

I went to visit my nephews in Salt Lake City last month. My 5 year old nephew is a little timid. Everyday, my brother and sister-in-law have him do one brave thing. This could be holding the worm he found in his sandbox or going down a scary slide on the playground.

It's no secret that I am deathly afraid of birds. When I was in SLC with my nephew, we were walking and a gigantically terrifying crow flew in front of us. I reacted with the natural response- shrieking. My nephew thought this was very funny. Suddenly he became very serious though. He said to me "Aunt Beth, you should try to do one brave thing every day too. Like, maybe one day, you could touch a bird."

While you won't find me rustling any feathers (at least not in the literal sense), I love his advice. Since then, my husband I have picked one brave vegetable a week. Two weeks ago it was broccoli (for him, I love broc). Last week, we tried mushrooms. This week, it was eggplant. Next week, I'm thinking brussel sprouts. Don't be afraid to try something new. Reintroduce yourself to something you swore off long ago, you might just surprise yourself. Or you could just hold a worm...

No comments:

Post a Comment