Sunday, May 16, 2010

Paleo Challenge #1: Chicken Salad


I decided I needed to try to up my creativity. I want to put new paleo spins on some of my old favorite recipes. Here is the first edition of this. I'd love suggestions/challenges of "normal" recipes that I can turn paleo.

Here is my friend Megan's incredible Chicken Salad but this version is a la caveman. This is one of my favorite non-paleo meals and I've been trying to brainstorm ways to make it paleo. I used to eat this in a sandwich, any suggestions for serving now (besides just on a plate)? :)

Caveman Chicken Salad (pretty sure cavemen made this, but I'm no anthropologist):

3 chicken breasts
2 stalks celery, sliced
1/2 red onion, finely diced
3 green onions, coined
1/4 c. sliced almonds
1-2 c. red grapes, sliced in half
1-2 Tbsp. freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp. Tarragon
salt

In a sauce pan, boil the chicken with 5-6 celery leaves, 1/2 the chopped onion, and roughly a Tablespoon of pepper. While chicken is boiling, cut up the remaining ingredients. Put the cut up ingredients in a large bowl. After this, make the mayo:

This recipe came from Loren Cordain's The Paleo Diet for Weight Loss.
Omega-3 Mayonnaise
1 whole egg (omega-3)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. flaxseed (I didn't have flaxseed so I used canola)

In a blender, combine first 3 ingredients. Blend of 3-5 seconds. Continue blending and slowly add in the oils. Blend until the mayo is our desired consistency. This was a little bit tricky, it was still a little runny for my taste, but once it was in the fridge, it solidified more.

Dump mayo in bowl with chicken salad fixins. When chicken is done boiling, shred it with a fork and add to bowl. Stir everything together. Add a pinch of salt. Flavor to taste. Obviously, store in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. Love the site... keep up the great work... I know it's not easy to do frequent posts, but we certainly enjoy it. As far as what to put it on, how about in butter lettuce leaves, on a regular salad (depending on how wet your chicken salad is, you won't even need dressing), on homemade almond crackers (http://insearchofahealthylife.blogspot.com/2008/07/almond-crackers.html), or on mini cauliflower pizza crusts (which would be similar to the almond crackers but probably a bit softer). With the crackers, you could probably use a muffin tin to shape little cups instead of just flat crackers - just turn it over, lay a circle of dough over each cup, and kind of mold it around the cup... much easier to go over the cup and in it. :) Again, love the blog... keep 'em coming... and be adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put this in a lettuce leaf last night for dinner and it was great! Thanks for the tip Confessor.

    ReplyDelete