Tuesday, May 25, 2010

PALEO PANCAKES!!!!!! (finally!)

Seen here with butternut squash hashbrowns

And now the moment I'm sure you've all been waiting for...

We finally made a paleo pancake that was GOOD both in looks and taste!  I know, right?  Contain your excitement please, it only took three tries.  Here were attempt numbers one and two.  I guess the third time's the charm...

Flippin' (literally and figuratively) Awesome Paleo Pancakes!*
1/3 c. Almond Flour
1/3 c. Flaxseed Meal
1/3 c. unsweetened coconut (I stuck mine in the food processor to finely chop)
2 eggs
1/3 c. Almond Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tbsp. honey
dash of salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Canola Oil

In a bowl, mix together dry ingredients and add in wet ingredients.  Place a large skillet or griddle on the stove.  Heat on medium-high heat.  These pancakes worked the best by pouring around a 1/2 Tbsp. of oil in the pan, letting it heat up and then spooning on the batter.  They cook pretty quickly and will not bubble up, so flip around a minute or so.  I served mine with real maple syrup (probably not the purest paleo meal, but hey, we gotta live in the 21st century, right? jk).  This recipe made around 6 small pancakes.

I knew we were in for luck when we decided to have a breakfast dinner (my fav).  Now I just need suggestions for what to serve it with other than the (highly delicious) maple syrup.  Any ideas?  Anyone think paleo waffles are possible?

*The inspiration for these pancakes came from a comment left by Sara several weeks ago.  Check out her blog, Edible

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the pancakes.. will we get to see pictures? Glad to see some kind of leavener used.. I see a lot of paleo pancakes without leaveners and I always wonder if they are really dense.

    For a topping, how about a syrup made of reduced fruit - blueberries or raspberries with a splash of lemon, mashed strawberries, peaches with a splash of orange juice, etc.

    If you allow artificial sweeteners, you might add a bit of no sugar preserves to the fruit - apricot and peaches - or just melt that to have a syrup, such as grape.

    For the waffles - SoG did an Old World Waffle, so I'm sure you could too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I plan on posting pic tonight! The last pancakes I made (attempt number two) were WAY too dense for my taste.

    I love the idea of the reduced fruit. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks Confessor!

    ReplyDelete