Sunday, May 9, 2010

Paleo Pancakes?

My husband and I have a long-running Sunday morning tradition that involves listening to a local radio station, eating pancakes, making Mokka coffee (basically lattes), and reading a good magazine. Many mornings we will go for a run at the dog park with our dog, Seger, after breakfast.

When I decided that I was going to cut out grains and dairy, you can imagine what this did for our tradition. We've done some research and we've been able to improvise. By no means am I condoning that this is a healthy meal, but it is definitely healthIER than what we used to have.

Lattes:

We have a mokka pot which makes the espresso and steams the milk on the stove top. We made ours today with decaf espresso and almond milk. My husband likes to have sugar-free caramel syrup in his as well.

Pancakes:

These are still a work in progress. They are incredibly difficult to flip; however, they taste just as good when they don't look pretty.

In a blender or food processor, combine:
2 omega-3 enriched eggs
1/2 c. almond flour
1/2 c. almond milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 apple, cored

Blend. Heat a large frying on the stovetop. Add a little bit of canola, olive, or coconut oil to the skillet. Pour in the batter. Add blueberries to the freshly poured batter. Cook on each side for 3ish minutes. These are difficult to flip, so be prepared. :) Serve with real maple syrup.

Knowing all of the above did not guarantee success of it this morning. Our "pancakes" while they tasted delicious, lacked all conventionally agreed upon characteristics of a pancake. It was more of a mound of "dough" smothered in syrup, which I'm okay with. In the midst of making the pancakes, my husband tried to reblend the batter, only to forget to place the lid on the blender. Our dog was very pleased with the outcome, our kitchen cabinets and fridge were not as grateful.

So it wasn't exactly the perfect relaxing Sunday morning we sought, but it was definitely a memorable one. At least the dog enjoyed her Sunday morning treat...



If anyone has suggestions (beyond the Krusteaz pancake mix) to make this turn out better, I'm dying to hear ideas!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Beth! After much experimentation I have found that coconut flour makes MUCH better pancakes than almond flour. Every tablespoon of coconut flour makes about 2 pancakes (you need to make them smaller than usual so they don't come apart when you flip them). I use 1:1:1 ration of coconut flour to egg to coconut milk and they turn out really well. So, if you use 3T coconut flour, use 3 eggs and 3T coconut milk. I also add a pinch of baking powder, some cinnamon and nutmeg, a splash of vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Hope they work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adrienne! I can't wait till this Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make these all the time! Great blog, testing out some recipes as we speak and working on completing my website :)

    AWESOME!!

    Apple Paleo Pancakes

    ½ cup almond meal
    2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
    2 Tbsp shredded coconut
    2 Omega 3 organic eggs
    ½ tsp of Stevia powder
    Dash cinnamon

    Coconut oil to grease pan

    Mix all ingredients together.

    Cook til golden brown.

    Serves 2*

    * I make two servings, but only eat one. This holds really well in the refrigerator. Do not do this with the banana recipe!

    I have a banana recipe as well, also very good, and very pancake like :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Diana! I'm glad you are enjoying the blog. I need to get my butt updating it more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great! You have a lot of information :)

    ReplyDelete