Friday, May 21, 2010

Sick as a Caveman

What did cavemen do when they were sick?  Did they open the can of Cambell's Chicken Noodle Soup with their hunting spear?  Did they continue to hunt animals even when their throats were sore and they had post-nasal drainage?  Did they lay on their stone couch and watch old M.A.S.H. episodes on daytime TV (cause MASH is the oldest show I can think of jk)? 

So maybe our society has gone a little bit soft as of late, but I don't feel good.  What kind of paleo remedies can I use?  Here's what I've come up with so far:  herbal tea, Motrin, probiotic, lots of fluids, smoothies for my sore throat, and soup.  There is nothing that fundamentally different in how I'm treating this cold than I would before I was paleo, but being paleo has gotten me thinking about our furrier ancestors and how they would have dealt with such sickness.  Am I just being a wimp?  When I picture cavemen ancestors, I don't picture them being the pathetic mess I am with my tissues and mug of tea. 

1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel better soon... maybe they drank teas and broth, made salve (a la Vick's Vapo-Rub) out of herbs, and lounged around the fire, under animal skins.

    ReplyDelete