Monday, May 3, 2010

What's for breakfast?


Oh breakfast. How I love and hate you. There were many years of my life when I simply lived without breakfast. I now know that this was definitely not the best idea. I have found the most challenging part of practicing a Paleo diet to be breakfast. My husband almost had a panic attack the other morning because he didn't know what to have. There is something in our human nature that likes the routine of sitting down with the bowl of oatmeal, or the Cheerios. What can you do to avoid the grains that dominate this early morning meal?

I have a couple of ideas (and for some reason most of them involve raisins and almond butter). :)

IDEA NUMERO UNO:
Apples, almond butter, and raisins.


Slice an apple up. Slap (yes, slap) a dollup of almond butter on the side of the bowl. Sprinkle raisins on top of the almond butter and dip away! There is something comforting about eating breakfast out of a bowl still....

IDEA B:
Apple Breakfast
(from The Paleo Diet for Weight Loss)

1 apple
1 carrot
Handful of raisins
Cinnamon to taste

Slice apple and then cut slices into bite-sized pieces. Grate a carrot on a cheese grater. Mix in bowl with apple and raisins. Sprinkle cinnamon on top to taste. This sounds strange but it is SO GOOD!

NUMBER D:
Ants on or in a log, you choose.


I have a post about this in April . I am not the biggest cucumber fan, but I am quickly beginning to appreciate it. Follow the recipe in the link OR make the traditional Ants on a Log with celery. Just be sure to use almond butter instead of peanut. I know eating something with the word 'log' in it may not initially appear appetizing, but it is trust me. Desensitize yourself: log, log, log- nope. Still funny.

OPTION TRES:
So Smooth Smoothie!


This was also posted in April. I have to admit that I cannot get enough of these smoothies! They are so good!

Option 5,280:
Leggo My Egg-yo!


You can have roughly one egg per day without adding to your cholesterol. Cordain argues that you can then have a 2-3 egg omelet every 2-3 days. You can make your eggs however you wish- scrambled, fried, hardboiled, omelet... (do I sound like Bubba yet?). Just remember, no salt, no cheese, and no butter. To combat the plainness that can result from this, either make a homemade salsa or buy a low-sodium salsa to put atop of your eggs. You can also get creative with seasonings like paprika or basil.

1 comment:

  1. MMMMmmmmmm Almond Butter- I'll take butter in any form I can get.

    ReplyDelete