Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Just a little link love (and fajitas!)...

So I'm sorry in advance that this will be a bleak no pics post, but just wanted to share a few tasty recipes.

Last night I made this dry rub and used it on some chicken breasts on the grill, it was really good and even better today as leftovers on my salad!
I also cheated a bit and made the sweet potatoes, they were delish! My one piece of advice is to follow her oven directions; I tried to put them on the grill and had some major sticking issues because of the eggs. I just hate turning on the oven in the summer; if I make them again I think I will try oil instead of the egg whites.

I also tried out this yummy treat when I was craving something sweet earlier this week. I followed the recipe pretty closely (you should know I'm not really into measuring) and I thought it came out really well. My coconut hating husband even liked it. I used my electric ice cream maker and then stuck it in the freezer for about 30 minutes before serving which was about perfect... if you leave in the freezer much longer than that you will end up with more of an italian ice than ice cream consistency (still good, but not what I was going for).

I promised that I would post my fajita recipe so here it is:

2 lbs meat of your choice cut into thin strips (we used equal parts chicken and steak)
1 large onion cut in rings or thin strips
3 bell peppers cut in strips(I like to use red and green, but whatever floats your boat)
1 jalapeno de-seeded and diced
2-3 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
3 roma tomatoes chopped
1 medium zucchini cut in spears about the same size as your peppers

2 ripe avocados
2 heads of Bib lettuce

In a large pan saute the veggies in oil (I used olive) adding the tomatoes and zucchini after the peppers and onions have been in for a few minutes.

Add some:
chili powder,
cumin,
paprika,
cayenne pepper
and crushed red pepper flakes.
Remember I don't measure... just start with a little of everything and add to taste.

When the veggies are about done (onion starts to look clear) set them aside in a bowl.
Toss your meat in the pan and cook it up (feel free to add more spices!)... add the veggies back in when the meat is done to heat them back up. It might seem weird to cook the veggies first so here's my reasoning: don't want the meat to be overcooked and don't want to cook the veggies with raw meat, call me crazy, but not my thing. If you have two pans and don't mind lots of dishes or are short on time feel free to cook both at the same time.

Serve with some sliced avocados and paleo-ritas and use the bib lettuce as a wrap (or any other lettuce you like, I prefer bib or butter because they tend to be a little thicker and wrap well without breaking).

Enjoy! This was one of my favorite paleo meals yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment