Friday, July 16, 2010

Cucumber Thai Salad


Note:  While this is referred to as a salad, it is not lettuce based and makes a great main course!

My brother and sister-in-law are great cooks.  They lived abroad in Australia for a few years and while they were there, they discovered some amazing recipes.  This recipe is one that my brother makes that I turned paleo.  It is traditionally served over rice noodles and with bean sprouts, so it has been adapted.  It is important to note the high sodium content in the meal.  I have severely cut back on soy sauce and fish sauce, but still, the salt is there for sure.  I would love and greatly welcome comments to make this dish with less sodium.  This is great for summer.  We sat on the porch and inhaled this.  Delightful!

Cucumber Thai Salad
2 lbs. sirloin, strip-loin, or tenderloin steak
2 Tbsp. fish sauce (1 T. for marinade, 1 T. for dressing)
5 Tbsp. lime juice (2 T. for marinade, 3 T. for dressing)
3 Lebanese cucumbers (I used English b/c I couldn't find Lebanese), sliced
6 green onions
5 oz. water chestnuts, sliced
1 c. loosely packed mint, finely chopped
9 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 c. loosely packed coriander leaves (I had difficulty finding this, so I used 1 tsp. dried spice in the dressing. Turns out I am just a moron. See comments.)
1/4 c. sweet chili sauce (for dressing)
1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce (for dressing)
3 large garlic cloves, minced (for dressing)
1 finely chopped chili or jalapeno (for dressing)

1.  Combine beef with 1 T. fish sauce and 2 T. lime juice in tupperware container.  Marinate in the fridge.  If you need more liquid to cover the meat, add a 1/4 c. water to the mixture.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2.  Drain beef; discard liquid.  Cook beef until browned on each side (we grilled ours).  Slice thinly.
3.  Make dressing.  Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, including sauce and meat.  Toss and serve.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great summertime meal.

    The recipe calls for 1 c. loosely packed "min"... is that mint?

    Also, just a note that coriander leaves is another name for cilantro, so look for it as cilantro instead and it should be much easier to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Confessor, it is Mint! You'd think for an English teacher, I would be a little better with typos! :) Thanks for the tip! I felt like an idiot at the grocery store not being able find coriander!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just told my husband (who I sent out twice for coriander) that it was the same as cilantro. hahaha You wouldn't believe his reaction.

    We even had fresh cilantro in the fridge.... oh well. next time. :)

    ReplyDelete