Thursday, July 22, 2010

Is it cold out? Because it sure is Chili here!



I am leaving tomorrow evening for an epic road trip of sorts.  We are going to California to backpack through several National Parks and spend some time on the beach.  In preparation for the trip (and also our newly found budget) I decided to try to make primal chili (aka beanless chili) for the trip.  My plan is to freeze the Chili tonight, stick it in the cooler, and eat it Saturday night around a beautiful campfire.

I'm told that traditional chili did not include beans.  I've got to be honest on this one, I don't miss them or the corn at all (I prefer traditional chili with corn).  As my husband said "I'm sort of obsessed with this chili!"  I hope you will be too.



Paleo Chili
2 lbs. ground meat (I used 1 lb. ground turkey and 1 lb. ground turkey italian sausage), browned and drained
2 (15 oz) cans of diced tomatoes (no good stuff; no salt added)
1 (30 oz.) can tomato puree
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
1 red onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
1 portabello mushroom cap, cut into bite-sized pieces (you want them moderately chunky still)
1 c. water (optional)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1 heaping Tbsp. almond butter (optional, but so delicious)
1 Tbsp. molasses (optional, but again, delicious)
1 tsp. black pepper
a pinch of salt
1 tsp. crushed red pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large pot and cook on a low temperature on your stove top until you are satisfied with the flavor combination.  OR, if you are like me and cooking your Chili in July (because that makes so much sense) cook in your crock pot.  High for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment