Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Paleo Challenge #2: Grandma's Peach Cobbler

After reading Elana's post about peach crisp this week, I was inspired to make my maternal grandmother's peach cobbler.  I don't know if I do the original recipe justice in my description, but there are few things more beautiful on this earth than a scoop of her peach cobbler and a big scoop of ice cream.  I was incredibly nervous about this recipe.  What if my mother disowns me because I ruined Grandma's peach cobbler?  Well good news, Mom, I didn't.  :)  I wouldn't say it's the same, but I would say it's damn good.  So here's my second paleo challenge:

Grandma's Peach Cobbler
3 c. fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1 Tbsp agave
3 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Make all ingredients together in a casserole dish.  Top with shortcake:

Shortcake:
1 c. almond flour
a pinch of salt
1/4 c. canola oil
2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. agave

Mix together the shortcake ingredients in a small bowl using a pastry blender.  Mix until the entire mixture is moist.  Plop on top of the fruit in the bowl and press the dough flat across the top of the fruit mixture.  Dough should make a crust across the top of the cobbler.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until it turns golden brown.  Serve with coconut ice cream.

7 comments:

  1. How long do you bake it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did 15-18 min at 400. Worked out pretty good. Dish is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read through the Paleo sites a little more carefully regarding oils. Canola is a big no-no!! Use coconut oil (the expeller pressed kind is flavorless and a lot cheaper than extra virgin) or palm oil (you can get it on Amazon if there are no local stores that carry it).

    Need to really watch the Omega ratios - canola is very high in O6, which is very bad. It may have some O3, but not enough to counteract the negative effects of the high O6.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to use some coconut flour because I didn't have enough almond flour, and I added some blueberries, but it turned out great! We took it to dinner at a friends' house and they liked it a lot too. It was hard to get the crust just browned without burning, so I would watch it closely at the end.
    We will definitely make it again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe is great! We took it to dinner at a non-primal friends' house and they loved it too.
    I had to make some substitutions based on what I had on hand- about 1/4 cup coconut flour because I didn't have enough almond flour, honey instead of agave, and added some blueberries. (I did use coconut oil instead of canola as you suggested) I also recommend watching the crust very closely at the end. It was taking a long time to brown up all the way and then all at once it got a little too dark.

    We will definitely make this again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I would definitely use coconut oil instead. Canola oil is genetically modified.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I would definitely use coconut oil, since canola oil is genetically modified.

    ReplyDelete