Saturday, July 10, 2010

Tree Hugger

“God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools.”

“In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.”

-John Muir-


I have recently been working my way through Ken Burns' The National Parks: America's Best Idea. After watching the first two episodes I have an almost schoolgirl crush on John Muir.  
John Muir- I'm sure you can see why I'm smitten.  :)

Jesting aside.  I'm in awe of his philosophies on nature, spirituality, and preservation.  If you are like I was three years ago, you may have never heard of Muir.  John Muir is largely responsible for preserving many of America's National Parks.  In particular, he was extremely fond of the Yosemite Valley in California, where he lived and worked for many years.  He believed that he could find spirituality within the nature surrounding him.  I think no matter what your creed, there is great wisdom in this.  I grew up not far from Rocky Mountain National Park and being a Colorado native, I've spent countless hours of my life in the woods.  This isn't a blog about my religious beliefs, but rather getting out into the woods, or the desert, or the lakes, rivers, streams- anything.  Go out to your sidewalk and stare at the tree.  Or, be like Muir and go out and have a conversation with the tree.     

Since adopting a more primal diet, I can't help but apply some of his natural philosophies to all parts of life.  “God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools”.  

Similarly, hasn't God cared for man through drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods?  Can he save man from fools?  Man in fools.  Fools who use chemicals rather than spices.  Fools who put in unnecessary sweeteners and salts.  Fools who play video games till their death.  Fools that remain stagnant.  Fools that only eat "food".  

Why not go natural?  Be like the trees.  Live.  Be content.  Be strong.  Like John Muir, find your Yosemite.  

"There must be a place for human beings to rest their souls.  Food and drink is not enough." -John Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment