1 Tbsp. dried Thyme
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3 lbs. beef stew meat, in 1-inch cubes
1/4 c. olive oil
1 c. red wine
1 1/2 c. beef stock
1 can (16 oz.) crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 bay leaf
1 medium white onion, sliced
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 c. chopped Italian parsley
1 1/2 c. green Sicilian olives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir the thyme and pepper together in a bowl. Turn the meat cubes over in the spices to coat them.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add beef cubes; brown. Once all are cooked, remove from oil and set on a paper towel.
- Discard excess oil, do not wash. Place wine, beef stock, and tomatoes in pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot. Add meat to pot, cumin, chili powder, & bay leaf.
- Cover pot and place in oven for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- After the stew has been in the oven for one hour, add onions. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Add garlic, parsley, and olives.
- Continue to cook uncovered until stew thickens to your liking- probably 15 to 30 minutes.
I had this stew at my sister's house last week and it was by far the best stew I've ever had. The recipe comes from a cook book (which unfortunately, I do not have the name of). I modified it slightly to make it more paleo, but it mostly is not my recipe. Enjoy!